413-435 West 14th Street
|Location:||New York, NY|
|Architect:||Stonehill & Taylor Architects|
|Client:||Stonehill & Taylor Architects|
The 413-435 West 14th Street building is a contributing structure in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. The building was designed by the architect James S. Maher and built in 1913-14 for commercial use on property owned by William Waldorf Astor. Executed in the Arts and Crafts style, it was originally built as a 2-story structure; a third story was added to the eastern 4 bays in the 1930’s. The building façade is articulated with flat pilasters and recessed panel spandrels between floors and at the parapet wall. A boxed stucco cornice runs along the lintel line of the building where a bracketed cornice was removed. Storefronts are divided into individual bays and have been altered over the years. Vidaris’ façade repair scope addressed the deteriorated stucco conditions at the facades as well as moisture infiltration issues at the parapet wall and upper floors. The replacement of the entire stucco system allowed for the proper waterproofing of existing lintel steel, parapet walls and roofing system flashing. The repairs did not alter the appearance of the building facades, but matched the existing historic in terms of color, texture and design profiles. Sealant replacement at the windows also matched the existing color. Vidaris monitored the stucco facade demolition, removal of the roll down gates, repointing of brick, replacement of brick and lintels, repairing of the structural steel, installation of new stucco systems, aluminum window sills and cornices, flashing of in-wall parapet cap flashing, and repairing of the parapet coping. Vidaris also monitored the roofing installation for the 4-story building’s roof replacement.