5 Beekman Street

Location:New York, NY
Architect:GKV Architects
Client:GFI Capital

One of the world’s oldest still-extant skyscrapers and one of the few to preserve its interior, 5 Beekman Place was originally Temple Court, an office building designed in 1883 by James M. Farnsworth in an exuberant panoply of Queen Anne, Renaissance Revival and neo-Grec styles.  Among the red brick pile’s notable features is a spectacular full nine-story atrium, framed with wrought iron balconies and topped with a skylight. The ornate building transitioned into a hotel with 287 hotel rooms. The nine-story brick, terra-cotta and stone masonry structure also has two 11-story corner pavilions capped by pyramidal roofs and a 10-story annex clad in Irish limestone. In addition to the pavilions, 5 Beekman’s exterior is notable for its 2-story mansard roof, cast iron window surrounds and highly expressive use of Dorchester stone, granite and terra cotta.

Working with GFI Development to renovate the building into a hotel/condominium complex, Vidaris is completing a thorough restoration of exterior elements, including fully rebuilding 5 Beekman’s slate-roofed twin pyramidal towers and restoring their cast iron finials. Work also includes repointing the brick façade and stabilizing, cleaning and restoring all exterior masonry and terra cotta, removing paint and other coatings, patching, pointing and replacing missing and damaged stone as well as inspecting repair work done on the cast iron. New wood windows were installed throughout the building, the historic skylight was restored, and the mansard roofs were rebuilt.

Vidaris worked with the Landmark Preservation Committee for the landmarked historic building.

Adjacent and connected to the building are 68 condominiums in a new construction 51-story glass tower. Design and construction of the tower was under the direction of Vidaris’ new construction team.

The project received a Lucy G. Moses Preservation Project Award in 2017 by the Preservation League of New York State as “Excellence in Historic Preservation.”

« Return to Projects