|Architect:||Michael Fieldman Architects|
|Client:||New York City School Construction Authority|
|LEED:||NYC SCA Green Guidelines|
Vidaris provided green building consulting services on the four-story 90,000 sq. ft. facility. The school has classrooms, science labs, a gymnasium, a library, a cafeteria and support spaces. The project is subject to New York City’s Local Law 86 (Green Building Standards) and is utilizing the NYC School Construction Authority’s Green Schools Rating System.
Vidaris has assisted the design team in setting the project’s sustainability goals, and has also provided assessments and calculations to confirm compliance with the Green Schools Rating system. In addition, Vidaris has reviewed green material choices for the project, edited the specifications to include green criteria, and reviewed green product submittals from the contractors. Vidaris also simulated an energy model that demonstrated the new school will achieve total energy cost savings in excess of 20%, over ASHRAE 90.1-1999. The SCA’s Green Schools Rating is equivalent to a LEED NC Silver rating.
Sustainable design features include:
- ceiling-mounted occupancy motion sensors for control of lights in individual offices and instructional spaces and key operated switches for assembly spaces (i.e. student cafeteria area and gym)
- 167 sq. ft. area for recycling paper, corrugated cardboard, glass, plastic and metal
- low-mercury fluorescent and high-intensity discharge (HID) lamping
- ventilation system that provides 30% more outdoor air ventilation than the ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2004 requirements
- individual thermostats for temperature controls in individual classrooms, offices, and assembly areas
- locally (within 500 miles of project) extracted, harvested, or recovered, as well as manufactured, building materials, and building materials that contain post-consumer and pre-consumer recycled content