Shanghai Center Tower
|Client:||Shanghai Tower Construction and Development Co., Ltd.|
|Property:||Office, Hotel and Retail|
|LEED:||LEED NC Gold Pursued|
This 123-story building is comprised of office, hotel, and retail areas. The project’s unique design includes an internal tower wrapped by a series of 12-story high semi-conditioned atria. Vidaris provided energy analyses, computation fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling, and measure & verification consulting in support of the design architect Gensler during the design phase. Vidaris' extensive analyses have included the following:
- An assessment of the impacts of orientation-specific fritting patterns on the façade glazing, as proposed by the architect, as well as orientation-specific shading devices, comprised of both horizontal shades and vertical fins. These analyses included the use of RADIANCE daylighting software.
- An assessment of a TriGen system, which includes gas turbines (generating electricity and heat), an ice storage system, and absorption chillers. Simulations were performed to determine the optimal sizing and most cost-effective operating strategy for the system components.
- An assessment of HVAC system options, including demand control ventilation utilizing CO2 sensors, an under-floor air delivery system versus an overhead VAV delivery system, and several innovative energy recovery systems.
- CFD analyses to evaluate the temperature and air flow distributions in the semi-conditioned atria during summer, winter and mid-seasons. The simulations were used to assess diffuser placement and air flows into the atria, to ensure comfort at the occupied levels while minimizing overall energy use in these 12-story spaces.
- Water fixtures usage analysis to determine potential water savings for each of the building’s usages areas.
- Measurements & verification plan for the HVAC systems and central plant