Project
Mary M. Hooker Environmental Magnet School
Location: Hartford, CT
Architect: BL Companies
Client: City of Hartford
Services: Energy
Green
Property: Education
LEED: LEED for Schools v2.0 Platinum 2011
Size: 104000

This is one of the first LEED for Schools Platinum-rated building in the State of Connecticut.  Vidaris, BL Companies, BVH Integrated Services, and the City of Hartford worked together to create a sustainable and enriching learning environment for children from pre-school through eighth grade.  Notable green features include a large, outdoor environmental education area, local stone and reused wood for the building entries, very low emitting materials (paint, sealants, carpets, and agrifiber board) and the reuse of over 75% of the existing building structure.  During construction, recycled materials and local materials both accounted for 20% of the overall materials budget by value and over 95% of construction waste was diverted from the landfills.
The school utilizes a 65kw micro-turbine to generate power as well as utilize the waste heat for space heating and cooling.  Other measures include spectrally-selective low-e glass, occupancy sensors in offices, conference rooms, and corridors, and replacement of existing steam boiler with new, efficient steam boiler.  The project though energy modeling shows over a 19% total annual energy cost savings versus the baseline model.

 

Awards:
2011 Connecticut Building Congress, Project Team Awards – Award of Merit
2011 Learning by Design, Fall Edition – Publisher’s Commendation Award
2011 – CTGBC Commercial and Institutional Award of Honor
2011 – CTGBC Alexion Award of Excellence